Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe has taken the frying and fuss out of crab cakes by shaping and baking them in muffin tins. For the best taste, look for pasteurized crabmeat in the refrigerator case at your market's fish counter, a better choice than canned varieties. Make it a meal: try these crabcakes with some tangy tarter sauce and coleslaw. Note:To make bread crumbs tear crust from bread then tear into pieces & process in a food processer into coarse crumbs, one slice makes about 1/3 cup crumbs. The recipe is courtesy Eatingwell.com.
- 453.59 g crabmeat
- 473.18 ml fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 59.14 ml reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2.5 ml hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2.46 ml celery salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 6 lemon wedges (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees; generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix crabmeat, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, scallions, mayonnaise, eggs, egg white, hot sauce, celery salt, and pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake until crispy and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes, serve with lemon wedges.
Made as directed but switched celerty salt with old bay seasoning. Next time I will reduce to breadcrumbs so 1 to 1.5 cups as I felt there was a bit too much filler.
Loved this recipe!!! I used 1 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs and 3 large eggs instead of 2 eggs and 1 egg white. Celery salt was substituted with Old Bay seasoning. According to other reviewers, it seems not easy to remove the cakes from muffin tins, so I made sure to coat my muffin tins with lots of vegetable oil before scooping up the mixture into them. It turned out that it's actually very easy to take out the crab cakes this way. Very very good!
Made with regular mayonaise, and took out celery salt and replaced it with old bay seasoning. I hand formed these and baked them on a cookie sheet to make small appetizers for a party. What a hit! I served them with spicy cajun remoulade sauce, which was also quick & easy to make! so many compliments