Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe has taken the frying and fuss out of crab cakes by shaping and baking them in muffin tins. For the best taste, look for pasteurized crabmeat in the refrigerator case at your market's fish counter, a better choice than canned varieties. Make it a meal: try these crabcakes with some tangy tarter sauce and coleslaw. Note:To make bread crumbs tear crust from bread then tear into pieces & process in a food processer into coarse crumbs, one slice makes about 1/3 cup crumbs. The recipe is courtesy Eatingwell.com.
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 2 cups fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 10 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 lemon wedges (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees; generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mix crabmeat, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, scallions, mayonnaise, eggs, egg white, hot sauce, celery salt, and pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake until crispy and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes, serve with lemon wedges.