Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a smaller yield recipe that I make for myself. I find that big challah recipes are too much for me. This challah is made with milk, so it is not kosher
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk, warm
- 2 tablespoons fleishmanns light margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 medium egg
- 1⁄4 cup splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons nonfat milk, for brushing
- In a large bowl dissolve sugar in water and add yeast, wait until it foams.
- Add about a cup of flour, Splenda, egg and butter.
- Mix well.
- Add salt and about 1/2 cup of flour.
- Mix dough in the bowl with your hand, adding the remaining 1/4 cup of flour if necessary.
- *You can knead it on a floured surface but I like to work with a wetter dough as it makes a more moist brea, which makes it hard to keep from sticking to the board
- Once the dough is smooth, shiny and elastic, cover it with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- At this point, preheat your overn to 400°F.
- Spray a six cup muffin tin with non stick cookign spray.
- Divide dough into 6 even balls and place in muffin cups.
- Let rise again for 30 minutesBrush with milk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
it IS kosher...just not to eat at a meat meal.