Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mix the dry ingredients for 4 dozen muffins now, divide in 4 and add in the wet ingredients and flavourings of your choice later. From the Canadian dairy website.
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt or 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix first 6 ingredients well and divide into 4 equal portions, 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups each. Store in airtight containers or bags up to 6 months.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter or spray non-stick muffin tins.
- In large bowl whisk one bag of muffin mix to recombine and stir in any spices from flavour add-ins (listed below).
- In separate bowl whisk egg, milk, yogurt, butter and vanilla. Pour over the dry mix and sprinkle on any additional add-ins. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until tops are golden and firm. Cool 10 minutes, then remove muffins and cool completely.
- Flavour Add-Ins:.
- Raisin Spice: 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 1/2 cups raisins.
- Chocolate Chip: 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 tsp orange zest.
- Fruit and Nut: 1 cup dried fruits, 1/2 cup toasted chopped nuts.
- Raspberry and Lemon: 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, 2 tsp lemon zest.
- Apple or Pear Cinnamon: 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 cups diced apple or pear.
- Makes 4 batches, 12 muffins per batch.
While I liked the idea of making a huge batch of muffin mix, this mix wasn't our favorite. I personally would reduce the baking powder to 2 Tbls. (you could really taste it). It was also odd because one batch made 18 reg sized muffins, so I had to heat the oven (and kitchen) longer for an extra 6 muffins. I will probably just quadruple our regular muffin recipe in the future. Thanks for posting!
I just made these for the first time, although I used pear yogurt as I did not have plain, 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, and canola oil instead of butter. Made a lovely big muffin with excellent flavour and texture.