1/1 Photo of Muffaletta
This is a sandwich made popular in Louisiana by Italian immigrants. I can't help but think this was a way to use up leftovers from Sunday luncheon or perhaps a funeral or something like that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup celery rib, shredded
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup mild banana pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup marinated mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup cocktail onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup tiny capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon banana pepper brine
For the Muffaletta
- 1Combine the olive salad ingredients and refrigerate 24 hours in advance to allow the flavors to meld and mellow.
- 2To make the sandwich, cut the bread in half, layer on half the meats and cheeses; spoon half the olive salad on top.
- 3Layer the remainder of the meats and cheeses and top with the remainder of the olive salad.
- 4Slice into wedges and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Muffaletta
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.7
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.7 mg
- Sodium 2615.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: