Recipe by FloridaNative
An "adjusted" recipe for muesli. Original recipe from The Big Bean Cookbook uses wheat flakes - I'm gluten intolerant so I substitute the wheat flakes with quinoa flakes. Works great. This combination of seeds, grain flakes, nuts and dried fruits works well, but you can alter the balance of ingredients or substitute others, to your taste. Try brown rice flakes, millet flakes, oat flakes or corn flakes.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This is a very good muesli mix! I had to use rolled millet because gluten free oats are not available for me here, and I used the pecan option instead of the hazelnuts (personal preference). My dried apples look somewhat dark in the picture, I'm afraid the camera is not too reliable. But I like the taste a lot, specifically the dried coconut. Next time I think I'll roast the coconut, too, to enhance the flavour. The dried fruits are very filling, so you don't need too much of this to be completely full and satisfied.
Will make this again - thanks for posting!
Made for ZWT 7.
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup barley or 1 cup brown rice, flakes
- 1 cup golden raisin (sultanas)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped and roasted or 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured dried apricot, chopped
- 2 cups dried apples, pieces
- 1⁄3 cup dried unsweetened coconut