Recipe by Nana Lee
This is a Mean Chef adopted recipe. His comments are: Adapted from Chile pepper magazine. This soup is fantastic - creamy, spicy, mushroomy with chunks of meaty portobella.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups russet potatoes or 2 cups yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups muenster cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 portabella mushrooms (sauteed or roasted and chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and butter.
- When butter is melted, add potatoes, onion and white mushrooms; season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until onions are translucent, add broth, cheese and chipotle; stir to combine and allow to simmer until potatoes are very soft, stirring frequently- do not worry if cheese seems to clump.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor, strain through a sieve back into a saucepan (press on solids to remove all liquid) and add cream and portabellas.
- Heat gently until just simmering.
- Serve hot.