Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This idea struck me as I was coring and slicing some Gala apples for an apple pie and eating some mini Baby Bel cheeses. Apples with soft mild cheeses are my favorite snack of all time, so it wasn't long before inspiration really hit. I normally use Fuji apples instead of Gala, but I imagine you can use just about any crisp apple. I half my apples, core them with a melon baller, half those pieces, and then slice very thin - maybe 1/4 inch thick at the most.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F
- Mix flour, corn starch, salt, and spices together, and then toss the apple slices in the mixture until each piece is well-covered.
- Toss in the Meunster cheese.
- Stuff your pie shell with apple mixture, then put slices of Baby Bel on top of mix instead of the traditional butter.
- Close the shell, make small vents, and brush liberally with egg wash.
- Bake for 30 minutes with an edge guard (foil works fine), and then another 15 minutes without the guard.
- High Altitude adjustments, over 3000 feet: Depending on your oven, set temperature 25 degrees higher, increase primary cooking time by five to ten minutes, and keep final time without edge guard the same.