Recipe by New Mom Kate
This recipe came from the back of a Mueller's noodles box. I love it because it is both delicious and quick! No need to boil the lasagne noodles. Just layer the lasagne and pop it in the oven! You can save even more time by using prepared sauce (see tip at bottom of recipe). This lasagne can be made with or without meat. You can also add more vegetables to boost the healthy quotient!
Top Review by DCLisa
This has been a staple recipe of mine for years. Guests absolutely love it! I use Classico spaghetti sauce - spinach/cheese or blend with spicy red pepper for a little more kick. Keep in mind that you will need to add about 1 1/2 cups of sauce if you use Classico. Classico jars are only 26 oz and the 30 oz that the recipe calls for is perfect to make make sure the lasagna noodles get covered all the way. If the noodles are not completely covered by the sauce, they won't cook well.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (optional) or 1⁄2 lb turkey sausage, with casing removed (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup tomato juice or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mueller's lasagna noodles, uncooked (9-10 noodles)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (I always use closer to 4 cups)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet over medium-high heat cook meat, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, tomato juice and basil.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups sauce into 13x9x2" baking dish.
- Top with half the uncooked lasagne, all the ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1-1/2 cups sauce, then remaining lasagne.
- Top with remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- TO USE PREPARED SAUCE: In steps 2 and 3, omit onion, garlic, tomato sauce and basil. Add 1 (30 ounces) jar prepared spaghetti sauce with the mushrooms and tomato juice to browned meat. Complete as directed.