Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this off the back of the Muellers pasta box and it is the best macaroni & cheese I've ever made. The kids gobbled it up!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crouton (optional)
- Cook macaroni for 9 minutes - drain, cover & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium saucepan melt butter, blend in flour, mustard, salt & pepper.
- Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
- Cook & stir over medium heat until mixture boils; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually mix in cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Add pasta; mix together lightly & pour into 2-quart casserole.
- Top with croutons and bake 25 minutes.