Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off a box of Mueller's brand elbow macaroni. It is a little time consuming but well worth the effort. It is my favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. I was hesitant to add it to 'zaar because there are already so many mac and cheese recipes but it's really, really good. I hope you try it and like it as much as I do.
- Combine corn starch, salt, dry mustard and pepper in a medium saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add margarine. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 1 minute. It's very important that you stir constantly so as not to burn, do not skip this step!
- After the mixture has boiled for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cheese for topping.
- Stir in remaining cheese until melted.
- Add elbow macaroni noodles to cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Turn into greased 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
This is a great base for a mac & cheese, but which can be amped up with different additions per your tastes. A few things I like to do:<br/>1) Add bacon or pancetta - rendering this down and using that fat instead of margerine in the white sauce.<br/>2) Cook down some onions in the butter (or fat from 1 above) and allow that to cook into your white sauce.<br/>3) Not enough umami? Try adding some thinly sliced shiitakes with the onions.<br/>4) Gruyere rather than cheddar. Trust me.<br/>5) You're going to think I'm nuts with this one, but if you want to kick the flavor up a notch, try adding 1/8 tsp curry powder and/or cayenne. The heat is nice and makes it feel like more of an adult dish.
I used this recipe for years from the back of the box. Then I lost the box and could not remember the ingredients or their amounts. Thank you a million times for posting this recipe. I love it. No other mac and cheese recipe can compare.
Yum this was good. I used Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheese and just chunked it into the sauce and it melted fine. I also added an extra 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. I didn't add the optional mustard. We all really liked this.