Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are cake-like brownies, very moist and EASY to make. The oatmeal gives them an interesting texture and adds a bit of fiber, too. I like to serve them with chocolate chip mint ice cream.
- 1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lightly-packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (or 3 medium)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons cocoa (according to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- Pour boiling water over oats and margarine in a large mixing bowl.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in sugars and add eggs.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Stir in half of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips and nuts over cake.
- (or you can add the nuts to the batter instead) Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Delicious! I like cake-like brownies and these were very good. I did as Barb suggested and served it with Mint Ice Cream. Yum!
I didn't like the texture of these at all. I found that they were really, really chewy. :(