Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Saw this on Sweet Dreams, The crust on the show was made with Chocolate Sandwich cookies, I used the plan chocolate wafers. You can serve with warm chocolate sauce, if desired. This was a hit at a party!
- 2 cups finely ground chocolate cookies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Dense Chocolate Mousse
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup malt drink powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
Light Chocolate Mousse
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Combine all ingredients in bowl and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a 10" springform pan and refrigerate.
- Dense Mousse.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate and the butter together in the top of a double boiler over medium-low heat.
- Let cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks.
- Whisk in the malt powder.
- Keep warm.
- In the bowl of a mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft droopy peaks.
- Still whipping, add the sugar in a thin stream and whip until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Fold into the chcolate mixture.
- Pour into the pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Light Mousse.
- Melt the chcolates together in the top half of a double boiler over medium-low heat.
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and chill.
- In a mixer, whip the egg whites until they form soft, droopy peaks.
- Still whipping, add the sugar in a thin stream and whip until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- A third at a time, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- (You mad need to whisk, not fold, the first third if the mixtue is very thick).
- Fold the whipped cream into the mousse.
- Pour over the dense mousse and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Chill until set, at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
- To turn the pie out of the pan, warm the sides with torch and remove the walls.
- Slice with a knife dipped in hot water.