Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 5 mins
Yet another magazine 'find'.
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup fruit juice
- 175 g baking chocolate
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- icing sugar (to dust)
- Put coffee, hot water and fruit juice into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the broken chocolate and butter and stir until melted.
- Add the sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs together with the vanilla and stir into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir to mix.
- Pour the mixture into a well greased and floured ring tin.
- Bake at 140°C for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and is firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Definitely a very tasty chocolate cake, unfortunetly must learn to stick to the ingrediants especially if it calls for plain flour and not self raising flour. Would save a lot of cleaning up afterwards. Other than that it was very tasty and ended up a delicious pudding.
Divine. Fantastic texture, sort of fudgey and it makes your house smell so chocolatey while you make it! The cake is so good I don't mind having to put in an extra hour at the gym to work off all those calories! Thanks Evie*!