Recipe by Cecily Parsley
First had this pork and pepper stew at a Serbian restaurant in Toronto, thirty years ago, and had been trying to find a recipe for it ever since. They served it with roast potatoes on the side (see # 264234) which would sop up some of the juices while retaining their crispiness. Pronounced "mootch-ka-leetch-ka." Reprinted with my own slight tweakings from cooks.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork chops, cut in 1/2-inch X 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 medium onions, sliced into rings
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch X 1 1/2-inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegit seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash Clamato juice
- 2 ounces feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the spices together in a small container.
- Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil in large skillet, Add pork strips and cook over medium heat until browned, about 15 minutes. Stir often.
- Add water, onions, tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir occassionally.
- Add green pepper strips and Clamato. Replace cover and simmer an additional 7-8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with roast potatoes on the side. Sprinkle each serving with crumbled Feta.