Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
Another fun recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon soymilk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- tiny drop green food coloring
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt or 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup large crystal decorator sugar (to decorate edge of cupcakes)
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Beat together lime juice, zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine into the wet ingredients and mix until smotth.
- Fill liners about 3/4 fill. I use an ice-cream scoop. Baek 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling ratck and cook completely before frosting.
- Icing: Blend margarine until soft and fluffy; stir in soy milk, lime juice, tequila and food coloring. Use only the tiniest bit of food coloring.
- Sift in 2 cups confectioners sugar and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional confectioner sugar if the icing appears too liquidy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread icing on the cupckaes spreading all the way to the edges.
- Roll the outer edge of the cupcakes in the sugar crystals.
And we have a winner....I made 4 different types of cupcakes today, these are definitely my favourite, (but then I love all things citrus so no big surprise there). I just excluded the tequila since it's technically a kids party (ha!), and they're lovely. The only thing missing was the drop of green food colouring, although I think the white icing is really pretty. Be careful you don't eat all the icing before it's time to ice the cakes. That may have been my downfall....I piped on the icing and could have used about 1/2 a batch more. Thanks Ms Bindy!
I have more of a question....was the batter supposed to be very very thin?.....I actually added about another 1/2 Cup of flour to batter since it appeared so watery. I did not have soy milk, so I used almond milk instead...cupcakes came out very gummy...perhaps I mixed too much, but recipe did not say not to. Sorry, did not like these at all.
LOVE these! I only made half the recipe (no girl needs to have 12 cupcakes sitting in her apartment staring at her to eat them), nixed the tequila/green food coloring (didn't have either on hand), and used whole wheat pastry flour. These are definitely my new favorite. I also added a raspberry on top for looks. So scrumptious (especially the frosting)...I'll have to only make them for special occasions or I'll be eating them all the time;)