Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A family favorite! This one is from the "National Firefighters Recipe Book."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup loosely-packed fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (19 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon diced green chili pepper
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced pitted ripe olives
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken, 2/3 cup of the onions, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper, half of the jalapeno peppers, the chili powder, and garlic. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and shred. Discard cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining onion, remaining crushed red pepper, and remaining jalapeno peppers. Add the shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, and the green chile peppers, Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer the chicken mixture, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- In a medium skillet, heat the 1 cup of cooking oil. Working very quickly, fry the tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil for 10 to 15 seconds or until tortilla is hot, but not crisp. Pat dry between paper towels.
- Immediately, place about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla, near an edge; roll up. Placed the filled tortillas, seam side down, in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle cheeses over; return to oven and bake 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted. To serve, sprinkle with sliced olives and green onions. Serve with sour cream and guacamole, if desired.