Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is my own version of a taco salad and it's become a favorite of ours! We have this often in the summer for a lighter dinner. You can also prepare the lettuce and beef topped plates and let everyone add their own additional ingredients, to their taste. Serve with additional chips or cornbread.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
This is a Jim Dandy taco salad recipe. I doubled the recipe and brought this to work for a potluck. A very big success. The meat mixture was very well seasoned. I set out the lettuce, meat, and toppings so everyone could make their own. My co-workers give you a big thank-you and so do I. Easy and delicious.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon leaves oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) bag mixed salad greens, of your choice
- 6 ounces tortilla chips, broken into large pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced, garnish
- 1⁄2 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, breaking up beef.
- Add tomatoes, pinto beans,chili powder, cumin, and oregano and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until most of the liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated; cool to room temperature.
- Divide salad greens among 4-6 plates, and top with meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with onion, cheddar cheese, black olives, cilantro and tortilla chips.
- Garnish with avocado slices and jalapeño slices and serve.