Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from Cooking Class Great Tasting Vegetarian Meals. Don't let the lengthy preparation deter you. Most of it is just explaining how to prepare the ingredients for cooking. As with most stir fry cooking, once that is done, the recipe can be cooked quickly. For the Peanut Sauce, you may use your favourite or Simple Peanut Sauce
- peanut sauce
- 1 small napa cabbage or 1 small savoy cabbage
- 3 leeks
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 2 1/2 x 1/4 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup honey roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- PREPARATION OF CABBAGE:.
- Discard any wilted or bruised outer leaves of the cabbage.
- Cut cabbage into halves and cut halves into quarters.
- Remove core.
- Cut cabbage into thin shreds until you have 4 cups (use a chef's knife or food processor).
- PREPARATION OF LEEKS:.
- Remove any withered outer leaves.
- Cut off leaf tops down to where the dark green begins to pale and discard(using chef's knife).
- Cut off roots.
- Cut leeks lengthwise in half.
- Wash halves thoroughly under running water to remove soil.
- Cut leeks into 2 inch slivers until you have 3 cups.
- PREPARATION OF CARROTS:.
- Julienne carrots by cutting a lengthwise strip from carrots so that they can lay flat on cutting board.
- Cut carrots into 2 inch lengths.
- For each length, place flat side down on cutting board and cut lengthwise with utility knife into thin slices.
- Stack a few slices and cut into 1/8 inch wide strips.
- TO SOFTEN AND WARM TORTILLAS:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stack tortillas and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes or until tortillas are warm.
- TO COOK VEGGIES:.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, ginger, cornstarch, sesame oil and garlic in small bowl and whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Heat wok over medium high heat until hot (about 1 minute).
- Drizzle peanut oil into hot wok and heat 30 seconds.
- Add leeks, carrots and mushrooms.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes until just tender.
- Add cabbage and stir fry for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Add bean sprouts and tofu.
- Stir fry 1 minute until hot.
- Add prepared soy sauce mixture to wok.
- Cook and stir until thickened (about 1 minute).
- PREPARE FOR SERVING:.
- Spread 1 tsp of Simple Peanut sauce on each tortilla.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture on bottom half of tortilla.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Fold bottom edge of tortilla over filling.
- Fold in side edges.
- Roll up completely, enclosing filling.
- Serve with peanut sauce.
Mu Shu was always my favorite! But the only restaurant I know of that had a vegetarian Mu Shu started consistently putting chicken in it! This is a great recipe.. I used hoisin sauce instead of peanut sauce because that's how I've always had it. Otherwise followed exactly. I actually really like the tortillas :) And the peanuts! I love the leeks! Couldn't ask for a better recipe.
This is a good vegetarian mu shu that should satisfy your cravings for mu shu without the meat. I used all the ingredients except carrots or peanut sauce and used hoisin sauce and regular mu shu crepes. Thank you Dreamer for posting this recipe. Made for Asian forum's unrated Asian recipes tag.