Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe in a Rachel Ray cookbook, and putting it here so I don't lose it in my mass of cookbooks!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken cutlet, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 head savoy cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 (13 ounce) package pot stickers
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 scallions, whites and greens, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil at the bottom of a soup pot over medium-high to high heat and add protein of choice and stir fry: shrimp until just pink, chicken or pork until lightly browned. Add mushrooms, carrots and garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then add cabbage and wilt it, 5 minutes.
- While cabbage cooks, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a skillet and arrange pot stickers in it. Add 2/3 cup water and turn on to medium-high heat. Cook for 8 minutes to evaporate the water, then let the pot stickers brown 1 minute more.
- Add scallions, soy sauce and black pepper and stir to combine, then add stock and bring to a boil. Stir in beaten eggs and continue to stir in pot until they are cooked and scattered throughout the stoup.
- Place a few pot stickers in the bottom of a soup bowl and top with soup.
I was so surprised by how much this tasted like mu shu chicken! I've never used pot stickers, and I was pleasantly surprised by the use of these as dumplings in this soup. I liked this so much, I ate it twice today!! Thanks for sharing.
I made this for my family tonight and the 2 adults and eldest child loved it....the 3 younger kids...not so much...but they tend to be picky. My DH says this is the best Chinese soup recipe I have ever made, and I would have to agree. I used 1/2 large head of savoy cabbage and 4 oz of shitake and 4 oz of oyster mushrooms. This was a winner in my book!
I made this for my large family. I used shrimp as my protein and I used a little cayenne to spice it up a bit. Everyone loved it!!