Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I serve these ribs at all of our family barbecues and it's always the first thing to go. The sauce is kind of spicy, so feel free to modify the heat as you see fit. For extra kick, I use a spicy honey barbecue sauce along with the hot ketchup and lots of cracked black pepper.
- 3 lbs ribs (beef or pork)
- 1 medium onion
- black peppercorns
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (I use 1/4 cup hot ketchup plus 1/4 cup plain ketchup, if you only have plain ketchup, add hot sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place ribs in deep pot.
- Add onions and pepper corns and cover with salted water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour or until meat is tender but not falling off the bone.
- Place ribs in a shallow dish.
- In a medium saucepan, mix water, vinegar, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and honey.
- Bring sauce to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the warm sauce over the ribs, just until the ribs are coated.
- Save remaining sauce for serving.
- Marinate ribs in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Grill over hot coals or bake at 350 until browned and heated through, basting frequently.
- Serve with remaining sauce.