Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from mrs. wilkes' boarding house in savannah., a good down home southern side dish.
Make and share this Mrs Wilkes Savannah Red Rice recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees f.
- in a large skillet, fry the bacon over moderate heat till almost crisp and drain on paper towels, reserving grease in the skillet.
- crumble bacon, add the onions and bell peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring, till slightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- add the rice, tomatoes, plus the their juices, and tomatoe juice, salt and pepper, and tabasco sauce and cook,stirring,5 minutes longer.
- scrape the mixture into a greases 2- quart casserole dish and bake, covered, till the rice is slightly dry about 30 minutes -- and serve with your main dish.
Thank you for posting this! I was just about to post it myself, because I made it using Mrs. Wilkses' cookbook and LOVED it. She suggests adding 2 tbsp of grated Parmesan on top, and she says that you may also add a pound of cooked shrimp, ham, sausage, or pork. I plan to make a batch tomorrow with some ham. :-) Thank you!!
I've dined many times at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House and her red rice is one of my favorites. This recipe is to die for if you are a red rice fan. Thanks for posting!