Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love to make biscuits when I crave hot bread, and this one is quite good and fast to prepare. Paula Deen says this recipe is from Famous Recipes from Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House. I found it in The Lady & Sons Too! (Paula Deen). I threw a splash of vinegar in the milk instead of using buttermilk and used all butter instead of shortening.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Cut in the shortening and margarine until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Pour the buttermilk and milk into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 3/4 cup.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients.
- Mix lightly and quickly with your hands to form a dough moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead by turning the dough away from you, pressing down with palms of hands, and pushing the dough away.
- Repeat 6 or 7 times.
- Work the dough into a large ball while kneading. Keep your fingers dry by dipping them into dry flour regularly.
- Pinch off portions of dough and place them on a well-greased baking sheet.
- Press lightly to flatten the biscuits slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.