1/4 Photos of Mrs. Vollmer's German Apple Cake
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
This comes from the St. David's School Cookbook (1974) and I have been making it now for thirty years. It's wonderful for parties; it's very elegant and rich, and really extraordinarily delicious. The pastry--which is really like shortbread--is good enough to eat by itself; the combination makes for a great dessert. It is rich enough that it doesn't need whipped cream (though I wouldn't stop anyone from adding some).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 -5 cups unbleached white flour
- 1For the crust:.
- 2Blend the softened butter with the sugar thoroughly.
- 3When creamy, add egg yolks vanilla and salt.
- 4Mix well.
- 5Blend in flour gradually, mixing lightly by hand until a homogenous mass.
- 6Pat dough into a 12" rectangular pyrex baking dish until it is evenly distributed over the bottom and part way up the sides.
- 7For the filling:.
- 8Peel and core apples and slice them into fairly thin slices.
- 9Sprinkle the slices with lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar as you go, placing them into a bowl, until all the apples are sliced.
- 10Warm the jam.
- 11If it is in a glass jar, loosen the lid and place the jar in a small pot of water, with the water coming half way up the side of jar.
- 12Simmer over low heat until jam is soft.
- 13Spread half the jam on the surface of the crust, and then place the apples, slightly overlapping, in as many rows as the bottom will take.
- 14If you are using Mackintosh apples, they will shrink more and tend to break.
- 15Keep your prettiest slices for the top, and arrange them attractively.
- 16Using a pastry brush, spread the rest of the jam across the the top of the cake.
- 17Sprinkle the top with almonds (I always leave this out unless I'm making it for a certain person).
- 18Bake in a 350° oven for about an hour, until crust and apples are golden.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Vollmer's German Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.3
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 144.2 mg
- Sodium 65.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 60.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g