Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe uses 50% less sugar than most recipes for Lemon Chess Pie, but still tastes great. This pie is best made using a wire whisk for blending. Electric mixers incorporate too much air into the filling and yield mixed results.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prick bottom of pie crust several times, then brown pie crust for five minutes.
- Break eggs into a large bowl and beat slightly.
- Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and cornmeal. Mix well.
- Add buttermilk and butter, mix well.
- Add lemon juice and zest. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Place in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce, heat to 350 degrees and bake for 35-40 additional minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy.
My family commented that this pie didn't taste very sweet, so if I made it again, I would have to add more sugar. Don't know if I will or not.