Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This goulash was made everytime our church would go to the homeless shelter in Detroit. The ladies from our church would get together the day before and get all the food ready. We would go to Mrs. Shirley's home and she would just whip up this goulash. I usually do not like goulash but hers was just so good that you couldn't help but love it. It is a simple as can be. She would always cook it for hours while we prepared other foods for the shelter. You could smell it coming together and mmmmm smells so good!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) can canned tomatoes
- 8 ounces macaroni (uncooked)
- Brown ground beef, green pepper, onion, and celery.
- Place ground beef mixture into a large cooking pot and add tomtoes.
- When it comes to a good rolling boil add macaroni and cook another 15-20 minutes.
- Note: Mrs. Shirley would actually cook her goulash for a good 3-4 hours before adding the macaroni and then refrigerate overnight. She said it helped get the flavor of all the ingredients to blend.
I made this for hubby and me and took some over to my mom too. Very nice. I used Kamut rotini pasta. I used a 28 oz can diced tomatoes and a 14 oz can diced tomatoes and a yellow pepper. I also added 1 1/4 cups extra water as it cooked. Good reheated. Thank you!