Recipe by Aubergine910
This recipe came from a choir member more years ago than I wish to remember. It is the only date nut bread my family will eat. I'm putting it here for safe keeping as I have worn out several recipe cards for this one. While the ingredients may be the same as other breads, the preparation method is totally different. It will make 2 - 3 standard sized loaves and sometimes it may take a bit longer than the stated bake time. Prep time includes cooling time before baking. Cooking time includes the boiling and cooling time during prep.
- 1 (12 ounce) package dates, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- grease 2 to 3 loaf pans, line with waxed paper.
- In a large sauce pan, combine dates, water, and sugar.
- bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- remove from heat and immediately add butter or margarine.
- cool to room temperature.
- add the beaten eggs.
- stir in remaining ingredients and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour (it sometimes takes a bit longer).
- makes 2 - 3 standard sized loaves.