Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderfully moist, light cake with a hint of sweetness. A simple dusting of icing sugar is all that's needed to decorate. I've been making this for at least 30 years now. It was given to me by an elderly German lady, whose husband worked with mine. It's one of Billy's favourites.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease a bundt pan and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the first four ingredients for 5 minutes, no less.
- Mix together flour and baking powder. Add, alternating with buttermilk to the egg/butter/sugar mixture.
- Beat in the egg whites.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Add cocoa to the remaining batter.
- Add spoonfulls of the cocoa batter on top of the white batter, and marble with a knife.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until tested done with a toothpick.
- Cool for 10 - 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.