Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
In' Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
- double-crust pie pastry
- 5 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out pie pastry.
- Put peaches in a bowl; add lemon juice, and gently stir to coat.
- In another bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well, then add to the peaches.
- Gently stir to coat the peaches, then spoon the filling evenly into the crust.
- Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out pie pastry, seal, and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, brush with melted butter, and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before slicing.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.