2 hrs 30 mins
Got a left-over ham bone? I do and this the recipe I'm going to use. This is "THE" perfect bean soup. A little different; makes a very hearty soup, full of good things. I've been making it for years. Vintage recipe, from the mystery book "Cooking School Murders." Prep time, of course, doesn't include soaking time for beans. You can use smoked ham hocks instead of a ham bone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cover beans with 6 cups boiling water, let stand overnight. Or bring to a boil and let sit for 1 hour before using.
- 2Trim some fat from ham, melt in large kettle. Add veggies and saute 20 minutes, remove and set aside.
- 3Pour beans and liquid into kettle, add ham and additional 5 cups boiling water. Cover, simmer 2-3 hours.
- 4Remove ham, dice lean meat and stir into beans, along with sauteed veggies, tomatoes and sliced sausages.
- 5Add macaroni, simmer until done.
- 6Cooking Tip: IF USING HAM HOCKS, 2 smoked ham shanks makes it too salty, use only one.
- 7Cooking Tip: Salting the COOKING water makes the beans mealy, but salting the SOAKING water makes the skins more tender but also less likely to break.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Potter's 5-Star Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 1775.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 37.1 g