Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
According to John Shields, Mrs. Morrison was the housekeeper at an Episcopal Church in Baltimore for many years and made this cake a staple at generations of church events. If you want to sweeten/fancy it up, add whipped cream or ice cream and strawberries. I think it's quite nice just as it is.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Combine the milk and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat together the eggs and 2 cups of sugar.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and one tablespoon of mace.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Add the milk and butter mixture while still hot to the flour/egg mixture and mix very well, beating until all ingredients are incorporated and mixture is fluffy.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon mace together and sprinkle mixture evenly over top of batter.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
- Note: The cake may also be baked in a 10 inch tube pan at 325° F for one hour.
This recipe made it into our Book #231450. 7/24/08 - Unique and wonderful! I made this all in our KitchenAid and had to add 1/2 cup additonal flour. Mace is a very tasty yet strong spice, and we love finding recipes for it. We were not dissapointed by this recipe. the cake has a nice density yet is still very light. The only thing we would do different next time is to leave out the sugar/mace topping and just dust with powdered sugar or serve with berries and whipped cream. This is a devine recipe and we will definitely be making this again around the holidays. Thanks for posting! ~Buddha. Some info on Mace: The fragrance and flavor of mace is similar to that of nutmeg because it's made from the dried outer covering of nutmeg. :)
Delicious! If you like nutmeg, you will LOVE this cake. And it is so easy. Perfect as a tea cake, or sweet breakfast treat at the office. I like the idea of serving with berries and cream. I certainly will make this again!
This cake is so different from other cakes. My second time using mace. And I found that it has a great taste in this cake. I did half the cake in a round pan. And cooked it for about 20 minutes. I reduced the quantity of sugar for inside the cake. I topped it with Brandied Strawberry Sauce Thanks Chef Kate. Made for 123 hit wonders