The sliced beans and potatoes braised in a spice mix make a wonderful side dish to accompany a meat curry. Here is a simple to prepare recipe well worth 5 stars. Although the recipe calls for French beans, I have used runners. Still good.
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 8 ounces French beans, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Use a non stick pan with a well fitting lid, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot add the mustard seeds, when they start to pop add the cumin seeds, onions, red chillies, and fenugreek seeds. Fry for 4 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and the turmeric, stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, potatoes and salt, stir to mix all the ingredients together.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to minimum and cook for 20 mins, stir from time to time to prevent sticking and burning.
- Stir in the ground cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve with boiled rice and a dish of Tarka Dhal to accompany any good meat curry.
Absolutely yummy. Cooking beans for my family has always been a challenge, but this recipe is a winner. Thanks!
Easy and tasty recipe. The only thing that I did differently was to add more chilies and I had a can of french style green beans that I needed to use up, so after the potatoes were tender, I just stirred that into the curry. Excellent!
I have tried to rate this recipe twice now- maybe the 3rd time is a charm. BrianH- boy do you feed us well. This recipe is rather serendipitous- not only does it share my screen name, but I have been looking for a green bean bhaji recipe. I am NOT joking- it's as though you spied on my Google searches this week! :) I didn't use potato, but kept the rest as-is, using a bit more beans. This is completely delicious. 200% fool-proof delicious. Try it- I promise you'll love it!