Recipe by Brian Holley
The sliced beans and potatoes braised in a spice mix make a wonderful side dish to accompany a meat curry. Here is a simple to prepare recipe well worth 5 stars. Although the recipe calls for French beans, I have used runners. Still good.
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 4 dried red chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 8 ounces French beans, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a non stick pan with a well fitting lid, heat the oil over medium heat. When hot add the mustard seeds, when they start to pop add the cumin seeds, onions, red chillies, and fenugreek seeds. Fry for 4 minutes.
- Add the coriander leaves and the turmeric, stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, potatoes and salt, stir to mix all the ingredients together.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to minimum and cook for 20 mins, stir from time to time to prevent sticking and burning.
- Stir in the ground cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve with boiled rice and a dish of Tarka Dhal to accompany any good meat curry.