Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I thought for sure this recipe would be here on Zaar but I couldn't find it. My mom got this recipe from an old family friend way back in the early 1960s. It's a family favorite that I've made so many times that I don't even need to use a recipe any more... it's memorized!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (1 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa, gently packed into measuring cup (not the drink mix variety)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups quick oats
- In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, butter, cocoa, milk, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and AFTER the mixture comes to a boil, cook for 2 minutes (time it).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla (be careful b/c the vanilla will make the chocolate mixture splutter a bit).
- Quickly stir in oats and then drop by teaspoons-full onto waxed paper covered newspaper (if you don't have newspaper, waxed paper covered baking sheet is fine).
- Let cool before eating, if you can.
- Be careful NOT to lick the spoon before the chocolate mixture cools -- you can burn your tongue. :).
Creamy and yummy! I loved the addition of evaporated milk! I added a bit extra oatmeal.
I made these because I was out of peanut butter. Yuck! I wish I didn't waste the time and ingredients for this recipe. The evaporated milk gave these a nasty flavor. Personally I think having the peanut butter in these "makes the cookie." I'll stick to the recipe I have.
I was looking for this recipe (without the peanut butter), just made a batch up using about a quarter cup less sugar than stated, they came out just as yummy - thanks for the wonderful recipe, Impera!