Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My sister shared this recipe that she got from her mother-in-law. Requested by my nephews on their birthdays, my sister Carol makes a batch and a half of this recipe and bakes in a 9x13" pan for 40 minutes.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk (Sour milk can be made by adding 1 T lemon juice or vinegar to 3/4 c milk)
- Boil water; remove from heat and add butter and chocolate; stir.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Add eggs; stir.
- Stir in chocolate mixture, mixing well.
- Add sour milk; mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
This is so delicious!!! I am a chocoholic and this definitely satisfied!! I did the batch and a half that was suggested and it turned out well. I iced it with chocolate buttercream frosting. YUM-O!