Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
As a child, my parents traveled quite a bit and a retired couple (Mr. and Mrs. Kern) would stay with us kids. I'm sure keeping 4 kids busy wasn't easy, and Mrs. Kern would make these no-bake treats for us. It's a simple-to-prepare recipe, one that Mrs. Kern allowed us to help make — we were in charge of rolling the date balls in coconut.
- Melt butter in a a saucepan. Add sugar, dates, and egg. Cook 10 minutes over low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla. Cool 5 minutes.
- Put rice krispies in a large bowl, and pour butter/sugar mixture over cereal. Cool slightly (enough so you don't burn your fingers shaping shaping cookies).
- Shape into 1" balls or small logs. Roll in coconut, powdered sugar, or nuts.
- Place on waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm.
Oh I just love these little gems. My mother used to make these when I was a little girl and they were always one of my favorites. The recipe had long since been lost and I was heart broken. When I found your recipe I couldn't believe it. We tripled the recipe and included them in our 2010 holiday trays for family and friends. When cooking the date mixture it smells so good. DH loved them and told me to make several times a year, not just for the holidays. Thank you so much for sharing the cherished recipe with us.