1/1 Photo of Mrs. Jones Cookies
This is a depression-era bar cookie. My mother learned it from the wife of my father's first boss. It is a favorite of mine. The sweetness of the bar and the tartness of the icing balance one another just right. Don't substitute butter or margerine for the Crisco. It won't work. And I just put down a random amount of powered sugar in the recipe for the icing. Use more or less, as you want and depending on the size of your lemon, so it is easy to spread. My handwritten recipe specifies seedless raisins. Imagine: you used to be able to buy raisins with seeds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stew the raisins in the water while getting out the other ingredients.
- 2When the raisins are soft, turn off the heat and add the vegetable shortening.
- 3Let it cool just a bit and add rest of the ingredients.
- 4Beat until smooth.
- 5Pour into a 9"x13" pan and bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 6Frost when cool or warm, either way works. To make the icing:.
- 7Grate the rind of the lemon.
- 8Juice the lemon.
- 9To these two ingredients, add enough confectioners (powdered) sugar to spread easily.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Jones Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.9
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 153.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 1.4 g