Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
As made at BostonFest 2014
- 3 -4 diced onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups white wine
- 4 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 -3 quarts heavy cream
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 6 (6 1/2 ounce) cansclams with juice, drained liquid reserved
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with a little water
- salt and pepper
- Mrs. Jet says, "one glass for the chef and anyone else in the room! Cheers MadMom! Also, "I'm lazy, or efficient, I don't peel the potatoes I just cut them square and then dice.".
- Sweat the onions and celery in the butter with a little S&P.
- Add the wine and reduce.
- Add the clam juice (bottles and the reserved liquid from the drained clams).
- Add the cream, bring to the boil, careful not to the soup boil over, making a mess on the stove.
- Reduce the heat to simmer, add the potatoes. Go for a swim with Sally, Bruce and the Smith boys.
- When the potatoes are tender, which will take a while, add the clams and thicken and season to taste.
- Mrs. Jet says that you can use a roux instead of cornstarch. She didn't start with the roux as in her experience unless you are going to watch the pot like a hawk it is more likely to stick and burn.