Mrs Goodall's Note:
Got and adapted this recipe from Bon Appetite. Quick, easy and really really good. The recipe calls for the peppers sauteed. I actually leave out the peppers until the very end and add with the corn kernels. Serving with sour cream is a must. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, diced (or green, yellow or orange)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you want really spicy)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk (do NOT use low-fat or non-fat)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and reserve liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- frozen corn
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped medium (add more to taste)
- 1Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add onion, peppers, cumin and cayenne and saute until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- 4Gradually mix in broth , milk and reserve corn liquid. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking until smooth.
- 5Mix in canned corn and creamed corn and stir. I always add another cup or so of frozen corn (because I always have frozen corn to use up).
- 6Heat soup until all of corn is heated through. Add cilantro and stir.
- 7Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. G's Spicy Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.8
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 1207.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 11.4 g