Recipe by Mrs Goodall
Got and adapted this recipe from Bon Appetite. Quick, easy and really really good. The recipe calls for the peppers sauteed. I actually leave out the peppers until the very end and add with the corn kernels. Serving with sour cream is a must. Enjoy!!
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, diced (or green, yellow or orange)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you want really spicy)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk (do NOT use low-fat or non-fat)
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and reserve liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- frozen corn
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped medium (add more to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, peppers, cumin and cayenne and saute until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually mix in broth , milk and reserve corn liquid. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking until smooth.
- Mix in canned corn and creamed corn and stir. I always add another cup or so of frozen corn (because I always have frozen corn to use up).
- Heat soup until all of corn is heated through. Add cilantro and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream.