Recipe by MarieRynr
If you think chicken pot pie is a mess of cubed carrots and shriveled peas with shreds of chicken in a gloppy sauce, encased in a pale and pasty crust...think again. These meaty, delicious and aromatic turnovers are chicken pie with a capital P. The crust is flakey and they just taste "good"!
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 (3 lb) chicken, each cut into 8 pieces
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans button mushrooms, drained
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 9 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten, for egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling, mix together oil and flour in a large heavy pot over medium heat and stir constantly until browned to make a roux.
- Add onions and cook until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides, then add celery, green peppers, and water to cover.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool.
- Add mushrooms, scallions, parsley, and cayenne to the vegetables in the pot, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pick meat from the chicken, shred, and return to pot.
- When vegetables are cooked, remove pot from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the pastry, combine 8 cups flour, salt, and 1 cup shortening in a large bowl and cut mixture with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until it has the consistency of coarse meal.
- Mix in 3 cups water, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough forms.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a large rectangle.
- Spread with 1/2 cup shortening and sprinkle with 2 TBs flour.
- Fold dough onto itself in 3 layers, like a letter.
- Spread with remaining 1/4 cup shortening, sprinkle with flour, and fold into a square.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into ten 7 inch circles.
- Fill circles with chicken mixture.
- Brush edges with egg wash, then fold over to form plump turnovers.
- Use a fork to seal edges.
- Place on baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes.