Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Unusual brownies that contain no chocolate, they taste like pecan pie.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dark Karo syrup
- 2 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup pecan pieces
- 16 pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon Dark Karo syrup (for pecan halves)
- Mix pecan halves with 1 tablespoon of dark Karo syrup and set aside.
- Beat shortening with brown sugar until creamy.
- Add molasses, 2 tablespoons dark Karo syrup, and pecan pieces, blend.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Measure flour, add baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- To batter slowly mix in dry ingredients until all ingredients are blended well.
- Place in a 8"x 8" greased baking pan.
- Top batter with arranged pecan halves that have been mixed with the dark Karo syrup.
- Place baking pan in a preheated oven at 350 for 25- 30 minutes.
- (if glass baking dish is used bake at 325 for 25- 30 minutes).
Yummy bars. I made these for my husband, the pecan pie lover, and he gave them 2 enthusiastic thumbs up. I think they are pretty good, too. :) I made them as written except that I used white corn syrup since it's all I have. Thank you!