Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are decadent! A little bit of trouble to make, but they are worth every bite. Very chocolaty!
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened and cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces flaked coconut (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- To make the bottom layer, stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, pinch salt and the brown sugar.
- Use a pastry blender to add the 1/2 cup of butter (in small pieces), until the mixture is crumbly and coarse.
- Press into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, then place pan on rack to cool.
- Leave oven on.
- Next prepare the chocolate ganache.
- After the chopped chocolate is placed in a medium bowl, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Pour the cream over the ganache, and wait 5 minutes before stirring.
- The ganache will be smooth when ready to refrigerate and set (15 minutes in the refrigerator).
- To prepare the topping, cream the remaining butter in a bowl.
- Add the granulated sugar, and extracts.
- Beat until blended, then beat in the eggs; then stir in coconut and nuts.
- Drop the topping by spoonfuls evenly over the ganache and spread with a spatula or a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Set pan on rack to cool before cutting into bars.
These are sublime! I like to make it in a smaller pan so the bars are thicker. It takes a little longer to cook.
This was great! I used dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet, so should have adjusted the sugar to made it sweeter. But it was still delicious
Chocolate and coconut bars - a perfect combination for wonderfully rich bars! I picked this recipe to use up some pantry items and I am glad I did, but in doing so I made a few subsitutions that didn't seems to affect these bars by using only white sugar for the sugars mentioned. I also used chocolate chips (12 oz) for the chocolate and used 1 cup of silvered almonds for the pecans. I wasn't sure what chocolate ganache is except that this resulted in a very chocolaty filling and wasn't sure about step 11- if I was supposed to pour the ganache onto to the crust before setting or let it set in a bowl in the refrig. I let it set in a bowl and then spooned it on the filling (but I think I should have done it the other way around) - either way it resulted in a delicious bar that anyone loving chocolate and coconut would love. Thanks for sharing this decadent! bar dessert!