Cook2 hrs 20 mins
A delicious sweet pickle, this recipe comes from my mom who got it from a dear old friend of hers from church. The original recipe doesn't seem to have had a title because we've always just called them 'Mrs. Fast Pickles.' Mrs. Fast passed away this last year, but she will be lovingly remembered by my mother, who saw her as a surrogate grandmother, and by myself, who also sort of 'adopted' her as a grandmother. (Cooking time includes standing time)
- For Brine: Mix all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Set aside.
- For pickles: Slice cukes into a large mixing bowl to make 7 quarts.
- Pour scant cup of pickling salt over cukes and cover with boiling water.
- Let stand for 2 hours and drain well.
- Put cucumbers into sealing jars, cover with brine, add some fresh dill, seal, and place in canner.
- Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Let stand for 20 minutes before removing jars.
Yum! Thanks for sharing, it's a lovely recipe. I've had so many cucumbers this year I decide to try them using your recipe. I've given some of the pickles away to friends who devoured them!! One of my friends husbands commented that he can't find anything like this in the shop's. I'm not supprised (nothing like home made). My other friends finished them in 2 days!! I did cut the sugar down to 10 cups, and I didn't use the alum. tasted GREAT!!! Better go I've got more soaking. Thanks again