Cook2 hrs 20 mins
A delicious sweet pickle, this recipe comes from my mom who got it from a dear old friend of hers from church. The original recipe doesn't seem to have had a title because we've always just called them 'Mrs. Fast Pickles.' Mrs. Fast passed away this last year, but she will be lovingly remembered by my mother, who saw her as a surrogate grandmother, and by myself, who also sort of 'adopted' her as a grandmother. (Cooking time includes standing time)
- For Brine: Mix all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Set aside.
- For pickles: Slice cukes into a large mixing bowl to make 7 quarts.
- Pour scant cup of pickling salt over cukes and cover with boiling water.
- Let stand for 2 hours and drain well.
- Put cucumbers into sealing jars, cover with brine, add some fresh dill, seal, and place in canner.
- Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Let stand for 20 minutes before removing jars.