1/2 Photos of Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes
Caroline Cooks's Note:
In the past, Robert DuVall owned a restaurant just outside Washington,DC in The Plains, VA, called The Rail Stop with excellent food and ambience! The crab cakes on the menu were from his Mom's recipe box. So very good...and the sauce below? Included as one that I use to compliment DuVall's crab cakes. I use fresh garlic chives from the garden in place of the chives AND the garlic. Will post photo when approved.Note: Time does not include refrigeration.
My Private Note
crab ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over and flaked
- 1 cup soda cracker, FINELY crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chives, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white wine, Riesling
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- lemon wedge
- 1In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, onion, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne.
- 2Fold in crabmeat and 1/4 cup of cracker crumbs.
- 3Shape mixture into 16 cakes about 1" thick. Coat crab cakes with remaining cracker crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- 4Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to "set" cakes.
- 5*About 10 minutes before cooking cakes,* MAKE SAUCE.
- 6Heat oil in small heavy sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- 7Add chives and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 8Add chili sauce and stir 1 minute. Immediately, add cream, wine and lime juice. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat, cover and keep warm over hot water.
- 10MAKE CRAB CAKES:(Handle crab cakes gently with wide-thin metal spatual, for best results).
- 11When ready to serve:.
- 12In cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 13When foam subsides, add half crab cakes and cook over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes per side.
- 14Drain crab cakes on paper towels; then keep warm in a low oven.
- 15Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the remaining crab cakes.
- 16Serve with lemon wedges and Garlic-Chili Sauce.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1020 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.9
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: