Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
In the past, Robert DuVall owned a restaurant just outside Washington,DC in The Plains, VA, called The Rail Stop with excellent food and ambience! The crab cakes on the menu were from his Mom's recipe box. So very good...and the sauce below? Included as one that I use to compliment DuVall's crab cakes. I use fresh garlic chives from the garden in place of the chives AND the garlic. Will post photo when approved.Note: Time does not include refrigeration.
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over and flaked
- 1 cup soda cracker, FINELY crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chives, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, Riesling
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- lemon wedge
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, onion, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne.
- Fold in crabmeat and 1/4 cup of cracker crumbs.
- Shape mixture into 16 cakes about 1" thick. Coat crab cakes with remaining cracker crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight to "set" cakes.
- *About 10 minutes before cooking cakes,* MAKE SAUCE.
- Heat oil in small heavy sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add chives and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add chili sauce and stir 1 minute. Immediately, add cream, wine and lime juice. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and keep warm over hot water.
- MAKE CRAB CAKES:(Handle crab cakes gently with wide-thin metal spatual, for best results).
- When ready to serve:.
- In cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When foam subsides, add half crab cakes and cook over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain crab cakes on paper towels; then keep warm in a low oven.
- Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the remaining crab cakes.
- Serve with lemon wedges and Garlic-Chili Sauce.
These crab cakes are so good. Will make them many times over. Thanks for posting.
Great recipe for crab cakes thanks for posting!
Fantabulicious crab cakes! We loved them!