Let's take a trip back to the winter of 2000. My roommate living in the Phi Sig house was Chris Dreyer. We both are from the Bay Area so we would carpool to and from AZ for Christmas break. When we finally got to his house in Palo Alto, his mom had this waiting on the stove top (Shout out to Linda Dreyer). I ate it again and again that break. 2 years ago when I was back home for Christmas Mama Dukes made it for an informal dinner party to rave reviews, enjoy!
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion (chopped)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 large garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (shredded, per bowl)
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sauté onions, garlic, carrots, and celery with evoo in stockpot on stove top, 5 minutes.
- Add meat; brown and then drain fat.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add spices and tortellini.
- Cook tortellini until done.
- Sprinkle cheese on each bowl.
- Serve with French or sourdough bread and salad.