Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Mrs. Dickie was the neighborhood Grandmother when my sons were growing up. She didn't have any children of her own, so she made certain that she got to know every child in the neighborhood. She was always baking cookies for them and us. She was a wonderful person and we miss her. She was also kind enough to give me her prized recipe for Meltaways. The yield is variable. I used teaspoons to drop.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream together all ingredients.
- Drop on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350^F for 12 minutes.
- Do not brown them at all.
- Combine all frosting ingredients.
- Apply a dab to each cookie when cool.
- Mrs Dickie said that you might want to double the frosting recipe to insure that you have enough for all of the cookies.
This is a butter cookie with cream cheese frosting that is very rich. The cookies didn't hold together as well as I would have liked them to - they crumbled to the touch very easily. The flavor was good though and I don't think the crowd I served this to noticed the missing egg. Thank you for posting!