Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
For my cooking instruction, MDM gave me a 5-cup arched fish mold and this recipe. I think she served this at every cocktail party she ever threw, so that was her best advice. We kids loved the leftovers! Mrs. Michael Delnegro submitted this to the Alexandria VA TWIG cookbook, "A Heritage of Good Tastes". Serve with crackers and raw vegetables. Times do not include chilling. Isn't it nice to have a food processor these days!
- 10 ounces condensed tomato soup (1 can)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, finely cut
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Spray 4- or 5-cup mold with cooking spray.
- Heat soup to boiling.
- Mix gelatin and cold water. Add to soup.
- Add softened cream cheese and blend.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into greased 4- or 5-cup mold and chill overnight.
I all-way like to made the recipe once as written, the way the chef did it. Yes I made a few alterations, I can't leave anything alone! I have to play with my food. It's a matter of what your taste is....I now have two more or is it three ways to this. A great shrimp appetizer! Serve with crackers or toasted French bread. I've made a variation of this recipe for years. I use a small food processor to finely chop the shrimp, celery, and onion. I Here in Maryland the "add-in" has to be OLD BAY seasoning! although this is a popular recipe from Southeast Louisiana, I've played with it by adding garlic, a couple of shots of tabasco, dash of chili powder (just like I do with Shrimp Boulets) Now the recipe posted here is GOOD don't get wrong. Everyone has their own additives. Great recipe!!! I wish everyone knew about this one! It freezes well so is handy to have on hand for a quick appetizer. P.S. I did live in Delray Part of Alexandria, Va. in 50's it was a Good Old City. Love it Thank for posting it. Now I can do my happy food dance!! Thank you!!! Happy Cooking to you and y'all! PRMR 2013....Grpa