1/1 Photo of Mrs. Crenshaw's Pinto Beans
13 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
I spent years trying to replicate my mother's pinto beans, but there was always something missing. I finally came across this recipe in a 1955 Texas cookbook and it's got to be where mom (a Texan) got the recipe. Oh, the missing ingredient, maple syrup! Time required includes soaking time for beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1419.54 ml water
- 14.79 ml vegetable bouillon granules
- 226.79 g ham hocks or 226.79 g leftover ham, - 2 inch cubes
- 473.18 ml pinto beans (I presoak the beans)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 36.97 ml chili powder (more if you prefer spicy)
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 36.97 ml maple syrup
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion (for garnish)
- 59.14 ml finely chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- 1Bring water and bouillon to boil.
- 2Add beans, garlic, chili powder, sugar, maple syrup and salt.
- 3Cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- 4Add onion and ham.
- 5Simmer additional 1 hour or until tender.
- 6Add water as needed (in 1/2 cup increments).
- 7When done, the broth should thicken and barely cover the beans.
- 8Serve with garnishes and hot cornbread.
Browse Our Top Time To Make Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Time To Make Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Crenshaw's Pinto Beans
Serving Size: 1 (572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.1
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 349.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon granules