1/2 Photos of Mrs. Connor's Challah.
4 hrs 35 mins
Blessed Wyoming Mom's Note:
The challah my mom always served at our holiday table when I was growing up. It is simple, yet fraught with childhood memories. *The flour amount is an estimate. A cup or two more or less might be necessary based upon your climate, weather, etc. **Can also make 4 smaller loaves rather than 2 larger ones.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water (approx. 110-115 degrees F), then stir in yeast. Set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt with an electric mixer until well-blended.
- 3Add the 1 & 2/3 cup warmer water (approx. degrees 130 F) and the oil to the egg mixture. Beat with electric mixer.
- 4Add the yeast mixture to the egg mixture. Beat with electric mixer.
- 5Gradually add flour, blending with electric mixer until the dough become too stiff to beat. Continue adding flour, and mix by hand until dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- 6Knead dough, adding more flour as necessarily, until the dough become elastic and cohesive.
- 7Let rise in covered bowl until doubled in size (about 2-3 hours).
- 8Punch dough down, then knead on a floured board.
- 9Divide dough into two equal parts.
- 10For each loaf: Divide into three equal ropes, then braid to form the loaves.
- 1111. Separate two eggs, keeping the yolks and discarding the whites. Beat the yolks with two teaspoons water. Brush yolks over the loaves with a pastry brush.
- 1212. Let rise a second time on baking sheets for 30 minutes.
- 1313. Preheat oven to 250°F.
- 1414. Place bread in the oven, resetting the temperature to 350°F.
- 1515. Bake 35 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs. Connor's Challah.
Serving Size: 1 (1066 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2832.7
- Calories from Fat 530
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 649.4 mg
- Sodium 1372.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 486.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 54.0 g
- Protein 80.1 g