Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is from The Cat Who cookbook which is based upon the mystery series by Lilian Jackson Braun. This is Jim Qwilleran's favorite landlady's meatloaf recipe that he always talks about.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 can cranberry sauce (Mrs Cobb's secret ingredient)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir brown sugar and cranberry sauce together until smooth.
- Place in bottom of 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, onion, milk, thyme, sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Add ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into a loaf and place on top of cranberry mixture.
- Flatten top so loaf will sit level when inverted.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes and invert on plate to serve.
Was a tasty meatloaf, the topping gave it that little 'extra'. The books are good too. =)
This is my family's new favorite meatloaf. And so good in sandwiches the next day.
I love cranberries and this was a nice touch. The texture of the meatloaf is great - you can slice it but it is not too firm. I served it with black asparagus and a green bean/carrot casserole, Thanks for a keeper