1/1 Photo of Mrs Cobb's Coconut Cake
This is another one from The Cat Who Cookbook from the mystery series by the same name. I have drooled over descriptions of this cake for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1Cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- 3Sift or mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4While beating, add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
- 5Then beat for 2- 2 1/2 minutes at medium speed.
- 6Add the egg whites and almond extract.
- 7Beat another 1 1/2 minutes.
- 8Add the coconut and stir well.
- 9Put into 2 greased and floured 9" cake pans.
- 10Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Cool 10 minutes before removing layers from pans.
- 12Spread apricot filling on completely cooled bottom layer.
- 13Place second layer over filling.
- 14Cover top and sides of both layers with frosting.
- 15Filling: Drain apricots, reserving 2 Tbsp of juice.
- 16Remove any pit fragments or pieces of stems from the apricots.
- 17Puree in blender until smooth.
- 18Place in saucepan.
- 19Add reserved juice to cornstarch and mix well.
- 20Stir into apricots.
- 21Add the sugar.
- 22Cook stirring over medium heat until thickened.
- 23Frosting: Cream the butter or margarine and cream cheese together.
- 24Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- 25If frosting is too stiff to spread, add milk a half teaspoon at a time.
- 26After cake is frosted, lightly press more coconut onto the top and sides, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs Cobb's Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.3
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 40.4 mg
- Sodium 442.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g