1/1 Photo of Mrs Cobb's Coconut Cake
This is another one from The Cat Who Cookbook from the mystery series by the same name. I have drooled over descriptions of this cake for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1Cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Using an electric mixer, cream the sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- 3Sift or mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 4While beating, add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.
- 5Then beat for 2- 2 1/2 minutes at medium speed.
- 6Add the egg whites and almond extract.
- 7Beat another 1 1/2 minutes.
- 8Add the coconut and stir well.
- 9Put into 2 greased and floured 9" cake pans.
- 10Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Cool 10 minutes before removing layers from pans.
- 12Spread apricot filling on completely cooled bottom layer.
- 13Place second layer over filling.
- 14Cover top and sides of both layers with frosting.
- 15Filling: Drain apricots, reserving 2 Tbsp of juice.
- 16Remove any pit fragments or pieces of stems from the apricots.
- 17Puree in blender until smooth.
- 18Place in saucepan.
- 19Add reserved juice to cornstarch and mix well.
- 20Stir into apricots.
- 21Add the sugar.
- 22Cook stirring over medium heat until thickened.
- 23Frosting: Cream the butter or margarine and cream cheese together.
- 24Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- 25If frosting is too stiff to spread, add milk a half teaspoon at a time.
- 26After cake is frosted, lightly press more coconut onto the top and sides, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mrs Cobb's Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.3
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 40.4 mg
- Sodium 442.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g